While working a 12-hour shift job your physical and mental state of being may be at threat. Those who work long shifts are more prone to obesity, sleep problems, and low energy levels.
Some occupations require long shifts due to on-the-job tasks. Truck drivers, nurses, and police are examples.
The problems with shift work are that the person has problems sleeping and finding the time to make health a priority. With long shifts, an employee may not have time for regular exercise. Long shifts also make it difficult to eat healthily and cook balanced meals. Due to time constraints, the person can rely on fast food, which is usually higher in saturated fat and sugars.
Taking care of your mind and body will help you get through long shifts.
Working a night shift is essential for professionals in the health sector. However, altering normal rhythms can lead to stress, fatigue, insomnia, irritability, mood swings, constipation, poor appetite, and fatigue, among others.
It has been affirm that “the worker does not have the time necessary to be able to adapt to the different shifts and that is when the difficulties or mental or physical disorders begin to manifest.” To lead a healthy life, there are a series of guidelines that would make the days with a healthier 12-hour shift. https://www.nurses.co.uk/blog/top-10-tips-to-get-through-a-12-hour-shift/
Here are essential tips to survive through a 12-hour working shift
1) Hydration during the working day is very important. Suffering from dehydration in the workplace will imply a loss of concentration, lower cognitive performance and even increase the risk of power suffer work-related accidents ”.
2) Ensure you dedicate 5 more minutes to prepare dinner or lunch at home, and carry it in a lunch box, so as not to end up eating in the bar or cafeteria at work. Ensure you curtail the consumption of food substances such as sandwiches, cold cuts, or pastries.
To avoid hypoglycemia, it is very important, according to experts, “to eat at least three main meals and two snacks, since hypoglycemia negatively affects performance and work capacity.” Maintain a balanced diet. It is helpful to have food prepared in advance to avoid eating inappropriate foods.
3) Coffee is very important for staying awake, as caffeine reduces the effects of adenosine, a chemical produced by humans that makes us feel tired. However, it should not take to be too close to bedtime because it would interfere with sleep and prevent you from resting.
4) Playing sports or physical exercise regularly will help maintain health and sleep better. It is also a way to maintain correct mental well-being. Perform some relaxation exercises and active breaks. It helps to disconnect from work and release tension. https://earlygist.com/2021/11/introduction-to-managed-futures/
5) Experts recommend sleeping at least 6 hours a day, to regain physical wear and tear and relieve fatigue. In addition, it should be done with adequate light and temperature and avoid noise. Rest time should be similar every day, trying to establish routines that precede sleep such as brushing teeth, showering, or reading for a while. And why not use earplugs? It is also a good option.
6) To maintain a rhythm of life that resembles that of the rest of the social circle, and not isolate or cause emotional disturbances, it is recommended to organize the calendar in such a way that some time is spent with family and friends without it being exhausting.
7) Make a schedule. It is essential to set times for both sleeping and eating. Just as you incorporate safe habits and routines in workplaces to avoid risks, you must also apply them to your day-to-day and after a work shift. The body gets used to routines before going to bed (brushing teeth, showering, etc). Ensure you associate with these activities before the time of sleep.
8) Breakfast shouldn’t be the only time of the day when you can step away from your desk, relax, and relieve stress at work effectively. Take the time to take short breaks throughout the day — a few quiet minutes to refocus your energy can make a big difference.
9) During work, always ensure to take a deep breath. This helps to give you more strength and energy.
10) Whenever back from work, ensure to take in a cool shower. This assists to offer you calmness, and strength. It is a very nice way of cooling the brain.
11) Don’t make the mistake of leaving the work that seems strenuous towards the end of your shift. All tedious work should be done first when you have the strength to undertake such an activity.
12) Think about safety first. Whenever you are done with the work, and you are tired to start going home. Make sure you have a short nap at the workplace, to regain strength, before heading home.
13) As a worker, it is your right to request a vacation whenever you feel the need. You can request a short holiday from your superior whenever you feel stressed.
14) Whenever you are feeling down at work, you’re at liberty to speak with your work supervisor, to seek his opinion to adjust the work schedule.
15) Before applying for any shift work, ensure you get all the necessary information relating to the work. This comprises understanding the dangers and threats connected with the task.
16) Seek the aid of your household members and companions. This will enable them to know your schedule, and help act towards helping you to achieve. It will also help them to create the enabling environment that would help you act according to your laid down schedule.