Having a smooth and glowing face is not an easy job. Especially in Nigeria, where our weather condition is quite extreme for glowing skin. But remember, we thrive through the storm. And for that reason, we have thorough research on the best homemade beauty recipes that will give your skin all the desires you want and how it should look.
The harsh weather may try to stomp on you but you are strong. Struggling with acne, blackheads or hyperpigmentation can be depressing. It is an area of major concern. This highly affects your self-confidence. People may not want to be seen outdoors because of how they look. Every skincare issue is important.
Having healthy, smooth, and glowing skin in this part of the world is hectic. It takes a certain level of consistency and tenacity to emerge with a glowing. You do not have the money to fund your skincare goals? I know how this feels. Seeing everything you want, yet it is hard to buy them because you do not have the finances.
Well, I am here to tell you that you do not need to empty your pockets to buy skincare products. You can relax at home and prepare a quick and easy homemade skincare regimen. Store-bought skincare products are loaded with active ingredients, artificial colors, harsh chemicals and sometimes can increase skin problems. Your skin says a lot about your health and well-being.
Healthy skin is happy skin. You glow radially when your skin is spotless. For a homemade skincare routine, you need simple ingredients. Check your garden or your kitchen for constituents. You can do different things with homemade ingredients. From homemade masks to anti-aging scrubs like soaps, soaks, and more for your skin, lips and hair! All straight from your garden.
Homemade beauty recipes are easy and quick fixes. They are so simple you can do them with your eyes closed. It is a DIY(Do It Yourself) for anyone. Yes, you do not have to be a professional beauty enthusiast. The best part is you can be consistent with it. It doesn’t cost a penny. You have no fear. Homemade beauty products are unique and fit for every skin. Remember to do a patch test in case you are allergic to any products used. Below are a few homemade beauty recipes to improve your skincare journey;
1. Turmeric and Aloe Vera
Turmeric has been known to have a strong antibacterial effect. Again, Turmeric has been known to cure at least three skincare problems. Also, Turmeric does not cause any side effects as it has been properly tested. Although, in skincare, it is important for a patch test to be performed as individual differences matter. What works for you may not work for the other person. Skin differs.
A patch test is easy. Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix with a little water to form a paste. Take a little and gently scrub around a small area of your skin. Preferably, your arm. Wash off and wait it out for a day. If no reactions occur, it is safe to use on your skin. Do not use it if redness, inflammation, or itching develops on your patch test.
- Two teaspoons of turmeric powder(for one serving)
- A spoon of fresh aloe vera gel
- Lukewarm water
- In a clean bowl, put in the turmeric powder and aloe vera gel
- Mix gently to avoid air bubbles
- Add a little lukewarm water if the mixture is thick. A paste should be the final outcome
- When the paste consistency is reached, you can gently spread on your face as a mask
- Leave for 10 minutes. Wash off after this.
- Never leave overnight
- Be careful with turmeric as it can get messy. Wearing a glove is strongly advised
- Wash your face with milk afterward, if yellow stains do not go off immediately
- Apply moisturizer after you rinse off for proper hydration
2. Rice Water
Yes, you read right. Rice water has recently been proven to repair skin damage from sun and UV rays. Rice water increases collagen in your skin. Collagen is a supporting tissue layer under the skin. Strengthening this collagen keeps your skin supple and prevents wrinkles. Rice wine is also considered to be a natural sunscreen because it contains vitamins that help prevent sunburn.
Rice water can also be used on the hair. It prevents breakage and adds strength and balance to the hair. Rice water soothes inflammation. It minimizes acne and other skin infections like eczema and rashes. You do not know how hot it is to make rice water? Well, that is why this article is here.
- White rice
- Lukewarm water
- Depending on the size and usage, take a quarter cup of clean white rice. I suggest a quarter cup because we need the juice from the rice and not majorly the rice. Make sure to wash odd debris and sets from the rice.
- Pour in two cups of water
- Soak for three to four hours. Some people soak overnight because they think all the juice would be gotten out
- After that, sieve the rice from the water.
- Store the water in a jar and refrigerate
- Use when desired
- Do not leave under sunlight as this sparks off some reactions. It gives off a pungent smell and changes color. Always leave it in the fridge when not in use.
- Do not use it overnight. Rinse skin after each use. Apply a moisturizer immediately to avoid skin dryness
- If applying to hair, do not rinse immediately. Cover hair in a steaming cap and steam. Rinse after two hours, in other for your hair to absorb nutrients
3. Honey Face mask
This sweet, sticky delight is an all-time favorite. Well, not because you want more from every taste. It will surprise you to know that honey leaves your skin smooth and soft like a baby’s skin. Yes, I am a living witness to the benefits of honey face masks. Honey has a strong anti-inflammatory effect on the skin to help fight stubborn skin infections like acne, eczema, and dark spots.
You can mix honey with lemon, and coconut oil. How do you achieve this? It is simple and as quick as a blink of an eye. Keep reading, the Nigerian weather cannot stop your journey.
- Two tablespoons of pure raw honey
- Half a lemon juice. Preferably hand-squeezed
- Half a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil
- In a clean bowl, put in your two tablespoons of raw honey, coconut oil, and lemon juice. Squeeze out the juice without the seeds.
- Mix thoroughly to get a consistent mix
- Gently scrub on the skin. Rinse after 30 minutes. Repeat process nightly for deep effect
- Do not use it randomly around your home. It is advised to apply this in the bathroom or your backyard, to doesn’t bring in a sticky situation.
- The stickiness from the honey may pose a little discomfort, sprinkle the remnant. The lemon juice ok your body if this happens.
- Do not apply under the sun
- Do not keep for more than 30minutes to prevent slight itching and discomfort
4. Oat and Apple Cider Face Mask
Not only is oat a sumptuous meal. It is a multi-purpose cooking ingredient. There are so many DIY recipes you can curate from oats. But today, we center on oats and apple cider face masks. The Apple cider with its acidity helps to regulate the pH of the skin. Apple cider contains a high level of alpha-hydroxy acids and removes excess oil from the skin. They build up the skin’s nutrients with oats.
An interesting fact about oats. They contain a powerful body cleanser called saponins. This wipes the skin off hidden first. Oats have a high detox on the skin. Want to dive into this recipe? Keep reading, I promise you it is worth it.
- A cup of oats
- A teaspoon of apple cider
- ¼ tablespoon of lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon of brown sugar
- Put the oats in a clear bowl. Add your apple cider. Mix thoroughly
- Sprinkle your lemon juice to reduce acidity. Add in your brown sugar to balance your mixture
- Stir until the mixture is even
- Apply to a clean slim for five to ten minutes maximum. This allows the mixture to penetrate into your skin
- Gently rub in a circular motion for exfoliation
- This circular motion helps to increase blood flow
- Rinse off with warm water and pat dry with a towel
- Do not leave on for more than 30 minutes maximum
- Do not use excess apple cider as its acidity can break the skin layer
- Repeat once or twice every week for fast effect
- Use organic oats for more freshness
5. Cocoa Face Mask
Your chocolate drink is not the only cocoa drink soothing your tummy. Cocoa nourishes the skin. It is packed with numerous anti-oxidants. It packs the skin with moisture preventing skin dryness. As the skin ages, the skin barrier becomes vulnerable and susceptible to bacteria. The layer begins to break down which leads to dryness. The skin’s immunity starts to deteriorate. The powerful ingredients in this face mask make it a multi-purpose cream.
The honey used in the mixture serves as a humectant that absorbs moisture. the environment. Leaving your skin always hydrated. The protein in the egg white serves to build up the skin’s lost tissues. It adds firmness and tightness. Making your skin look younger and fresher. You may also decide to add sour cream, though it is optional. The lactic acid in the sour cream acts as a deep exfoliant to the skin. This adds to the radiance of your skin.
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Add 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream(optional)
- Lukewarm water
- In a clean bowl, add one tablespoon of cocoa
- Add your honey and egg white
- Mix thoroughly together
- Add sour cream for a rich texture. This is optional as you may not like it thick
- Gently mix together into a frying paste
- Allow it to sit for 25 minutes to balance the ingredients
- Gently take a hand scoop and scrub on the body
- Let this sit on your skin for 10 to 20 minutes
- Rinse and pat dry with a towel
- Do not stay under the sun immediately after applying. This can damage already built cells
- Use a little sour cream if you must. You do not need excess lactic acid on your skin. This can pose adverse health effect
- Do not leave it on your skin for more than twenty minutes. The lactic acid may start drawing moisture from your face making it look dry and cracked
- Use clean lukewarm water as they help your pores breathe
6. Pawpaw(papaya face mask)
Who knew pawpaw can be used as a face mask? A pawpaw face mask is a one-hit-wonder in the skincare world. I cannot believe I hated them as a kid. When I found out about its skincare remedies, I had to love it. Keep reading and you will know why. I hope you don’t get addicted to them like me.
Pawpaw is a powerful anti-aging skin care treatment. Do you want a fast boost for wrinkles spreading fast on your eye socket? Add greek yogurt, egg white, and a little dab of honey. Pawpaw contains alpha-hydroxy acid which acts as a natural exfoliant. The egg white increases skin integrity and helps rebuild damaged skin tissues. The mixture might sound weird. I mean, how do you mix egg whites, Greek yogurt, and pawpaw?! I thought it was irritating at first but after that, I had to concede to its goodness.
Pawpaw works like magic on the skin. Scrapping the flesh off might pose a little difficulty. Use a deep spoon to gently scoop out the flesh.
- ½ fresh pawpaw. Scoop out flesh without seeds. Blend into a thick paste.
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg, white
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- In a bowl, add honey to the blended pawpaw paste
- Add the green yogurt, egg white, and mix thoroughly to get desired consistency
- Apply to the face and neck. Any other part of the skin is also fine
- Rinse off and dab gently with a clean towel
- Apply for 20 minutes maximum
- Make sure egg white is clean from a Hella to avoid injury to the face
From the above homemade beauty recipes, you can see that achieving healthy and glowing skin in Nigeria is possible. Remember to stay consistent so you can share your story too!
Also, Read 25 Health and Wellness Products